All Bellaroo slings are made here in New Zealand.
Free shipping on all sling orders.
The Benefits of Baby Wearing
At Bellaroo we have a range of different sling and carrier options available. Whether you are a parent to be, a new Mum or Dad, or the parent of a toddler with an aching back from lugging your wee cherub all over town, you need to read the below!
- Sling-babies are documented to cry up to 50% less on average than non-carried babies. In countries where babies are worn in slings, their babies rarely cry because their needs are already met. When our baby is relaxed and happy, we can be too, which makes the adjustment to new parenting a whole lot easier.
- They are calmer, and spend more time in a state of 'quiet alertness' Instead of being put in a rocker or other contraption, forced to watch the world but not be a part of it, sling babies get to passively participate in their world. They get to do what mum does, and see what mum sees, from the safety and comfort of their little nest. They can choose to retreat back when it gets a bit much, or look out if they want. They are able to select what they want to look at, and not become over stimulated.
- Babies' biological need for body contact and motion is met. Babies love motion, their brains benefit from it, as well as their bodies. Being worn in a sling is great non-contact 'exercise' for babies. Kangaroo Care (baby skin-to-skin on mum's bare chest) is extremely beneficial for wee premmie babies, aiding in their development and survival chances. Babywearing helps babies get over the initial 'shock' of being born into this loud bright cold world. A sling recreates the womb environment, which is extremely comforting for baby. They can hear mum's heartbeat, feel mum's warmth, and move with mum's body- just as they used to do in the womb.
- Slings are a great parenting tool. You can have baby quiet and content, and still do your chores/shopping etc. This means parents don't need to be scared of baby having a meltdown at the mall as they are happy and content in their sling. Baby carriers are a great solution to the ‘witching hour’ - you can cook and keep baby happy simultaneously. No more rushed dinners, takeaways or grumpy afternoons. You need no longer dread 4pm!
- They have better digestion from the gentle tummy pressure. Notice how reflux and colicky babies love to be upright? It makes sure that the milk and stomach acid stays down where it should, and helps trapped gas come up. Happy baby, happy parents!
- Your baby is just happy to be with you. Research indicates that sling babies often become more independent later on than non-carried babies, because they are so secure and confident. Wearing baby close in a sling helps mums and dads to bond with their little ones. It takes the pressure off parents to actively entertain their babies, baby is quite happy doing your activities with you.
- Sling-babies can nap anywhere. Sling babies are really convenient - no need to worry about access for the pram, or somewhere for baby to sleep when you're on holiday. Slings just take that stress away.
- Breastfeeding is convenient and private in a baby carrier. You have your own private feeding room right with you. Plus, mum can recognise and respond to baby's hunger cues earlier which means less fussing. With baby close, they tend to like feeding more often, which is good for mum's milk supply.
- Wearing your baby burns up to around 300 extra calories a day! Wearing your baby in a sling provides as much 'resistance' (or more) as a pair of handweights. So pop that baby on and go for a walk, you will both benefit.